There are many things I used to hate that I now love. Avocados, Goat Cheese, Feta, Blue Cheese, Carrots, Olives, but not eggs. No matter how much I try, I still don’t like eggs. Of all the things on this list, I cannot believe I never used to like avocados! I can’t remember the exact time I started to like avocados or even when I tried them for the first time- it just kind of happened. Perhaps it happened when I realized they go so well with balsamic vinegar. Now, though, I always look for ways to include avocado in as many meals as possible. They are a constant in my salads, on my burgers, with fish, and, as of last night, on my baked potatoes. This recipe, courtesy of my friend Mindy, who made this one weekend with her boyfriend, is another great way to use avocados. The recipe is taken from avocado.org, but she makes some awesome suggestions, found at the end of the post, to make the recipe even better! Thanks Mindy!
- 4 small or 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- ½ garlic clove, pressed
- 1 large, ripe Fresh California Avocado, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp. chopped fresh or dried rosemary
- ½ Tbsp. lime juice
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 oz. goat cheese
- 1 ½ Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp.olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove brown gills from the undersides of mushrooms using a spoon; discard gills. Remove stems, if necessary, and reserve for another use, if desired.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add leek and garlic, and sauté, until tender. Remove from heat, and cool.
- Stir together avocado and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir in leek mixture.
- Press goat cheese evenly into mushroom caps; top each with avocado mixture. Sprinkle with walnuts, and drizzle with olive oil. Place on rack in a broiler pan.
- Bake at 400° for 5 minutes; cover loosely with aluminum foil, and bake 5 more minutes. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Ok, so notes.
- We found the butter to be overkill, we probably could have just used a touch of olive oil to serve the same purpose and save ourselves from the extra cholesterol.
- We couldn’t find leeks so we used chives instead- I thought they were delicious and since I’m not especially partial to leeks over chives, I think I’ll stick with chives.
- We used 4 large mushrooms and 2 small avocados. We didn’t have any sides but we were stuffed.
- we used lemon juice instead of lime…which I just like better but I think either would be good.
- we used the crumbly kind of goat cheese but I think it would be better with a creamier kind.